Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sweet and Savory Chicken or Turkey Meatballs in the crockpot

This was super good. I tried it out on Husband and best friend, too. They agreed.

Here is the original source I used. I modified a few things.

Ingredients:

-1 lb ground chicken or turkey
-1 egg
-1 tsp kosher salt
-1 tsp ground black pepper
-1 green apple, peeled and shredded
-1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar
-1/2 c dried cranberries
-1/4-1/2 c panko bread crumbs
-1/2 onion, sliced or diced

1. Put the ground meat in the bottom of a large-ish bowl. Since you will soon be mixing this with your hands, I recommend you leave it at room temperature for a bit so you don't have icy meat hands.

2. Put everything on top of the meat EXCEPT the onions. 

3. Get in there with your hands and mix it all together. 

4. Make ping-pong sized balls and layer them sort of staggered in your crock pot. 

5. Throw the sliced onions on top. 

6. Turn on the crockpot and wait, excitedly. Wait, though, until they have browned, which they will. 

Okay so the original recipe uses onion salt instead of fresh onion, but I didn't have any onion salt and I did have fresh onion, so that's what I did. Also the original recipe doesn't include panko bread crumbs, but I just felt like adding them so I did. I also used plain Craisins because that's what I had and they weren't too sweet. The original recipe says she was able to pull the meatballs apart and mine were more stuck together, but no one cared. I think I might have let mine cook longer than the person from the blog above, but really it was awesome. I mean maybe not ideal for sophisticated company but you could easily use this same recipe and cook them on a baking sheet if you want them to look like actual meatballs. 

Husband thinks they need some sort of tangy sauce, even though they were really good. He is like that, rarely eats meat without some moist component. If I find one, I will add it here. 

Here are my raw meatballs in the crockpot: 



1 comment:

  1. I am putting together a HUGE document of new recipes to try out and I just stole of lot of yours :)

    Here's something you may be interested in...even Chris likes it!

    Cook any super healthy grain with lots of protein and nutrients(think Quinoa or short grain brown rice)
    Roast any number of diced veggies, any variety, whatever with olive oil and garlic. (I did tomatoes, onions, cuke, zucch, olives)

    Mix together. The proportion of veggies to grain is up to you.

    Toss with olive oil and lemon juice..salt...pepper....whatever you want

    Top with feta or other pungent yummy yummy cheese.

    So easy. So healthy!

    ReplyDelete